Powered By Blogger

Sunday, September 25, 2011

Why Do I Watch Sports?

After I finished throwing a tantrum over the outcome of the Jets game and calmed down (with the help of Jack Daniels) I asked myself "why do I watch sports?".  It is a valid question considering the amount of anger, frustration, disappointment, loss, hurt, etc. sports in general have caused me throughout my 29 years of life (well not the full 29 considering I wasn't pulled from the womb in sports gear).

In order of insane fandom I follow the Jets, Yankees, Knicks & Rangers (the Knicks and Rangers are tied).  Out of those four teams I have have seen the Rangers win the cup once in '94 and the Yankees win 5 World Series titles.  The Jets have gotten to the AFC championship 3 times and 2 of those times have come in the last two years.  The Knicks last bit of prominence was in 2000 when they lost to the Spurs in the Finals, they have since gotten the excitement back in MSG since 'Melo and Stat joined the team this past season. 

All in all you can make the argument that the Yankees have more than made up for the ineptitude of the Jets and Knicks, and even lean years the Rangers had when they enjoyed signing over the hill big name players (I'm looking at you Lindros!).  However, one team cannot make up for the shortfalls of the others, so again I'm left with the question "why do I watch sports?".  Amazingly enough it didn't take my brain long to come up with an answer.

I watch for those magic moments...

I watch for Messier holding that cup after promising we'd beat the Devils and then finishing off the Canucks
I watch for the improbable way the ball bounced off the back of the rim and in
I watch for Jumbo Elliot capping off the Monday Night Miracle
I watch for The Captain and "The Flip"
So in the end, even though my sports teams have caused me grief, anguish and misery...they've also caused me joy.  I watch and we all watch, because at any moment we might see a moment.






No comments:

Post a Comment