Powered By Blogger

Thursday, September 8, 2011

How Could I Forget? I Can't.

We are nearing the 10th anniversary of 9/11. The attacks on the Twin Towers and the Pentagon, as well as the sacrifice of those on Flight 93 won't soon be forgotten. Soon, if they haven't already, our TVs will be inundated with specials surrounding the tragedy of that day. We will be subjected to image after image of that day. A burning tower. People running. People screaming.

I wish that wasn't the case. I wish that we can take a step back and instead celebrate the Twin Towers with specials surrounding its construction. Perhaps a documentary about the heroes that risked life and limb to save strangers. Retrospectives on those that lost their lives that day and interviews with their families. I cannot be the only one that would prefer these specials over images of horror.  

"But how can we be sure that we will never forget unless we relive that day every single year on the anniversary?"

Who can forget that day? I don't think I've met anyone that cannot tell you where they were, what they were doing, or how they felt on that day. I still get a very visceral reaction whenever I see the images or videos of that day. I think that we need at some point to move beyond the reliving.

I'll never forget, but please don't make me relive it.


4 comments:

  1. I agree. I think Joe got annoyed with me b/c I holed myself up with a book in the bedroom instead of watching some TV special the other day. I wound up watching the end of it with him, silently sobbing to myself and then had nightmares the rest of the night. I am no less patriotic because I choose not to subject myself to it. Being the emotional sponge that I am, it's excruciating to tune out that much anger, hurt and horror. I wish I were working on the 11th so I wouldn't have to worry about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, but I would disagree. Today, I sat in front of my High School Juniors. They were in 1st grade when the towers fell. Students in the new freshmen class weren't even in school in 2001. In each of my classes, we discussed 9/11. I asked them questions such as "What was your experience with 9/11?", "Why were were attacked"? and "How has America Changed?". The answers I received were very surface in nature. It was like pulling teeth.

    These students barely have an experience, and the freshmen remember nothing. They don't really know the impact of 9-11 because they don't really know what American was before 9/11. They have only lived in a post 9/11 world. They don't see it like we do.

    Because of this, we must make our best attempt to get them to see the event the way we did. The way it was. They need to see the buildings burning. They need to see the carnage. It's the closest thing they have to experiencing the horror the way it was that day.

    In reality, the media barrage, while upsetting, is badly needed. It is the only way to preserve the emotion of the day.

    After all, do you tear when you see the USS Arizona burning in Pearl Harbor? I don't. And soon, a new generation will strike the emotion from 9-11.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The media barrage is not necessary because I don't believe a HS Junior is going to watch a History Channel documentary on the terror attacks of 9/11.

    We have teachers, like yourself, who can discuss the day with the youth and show them documentaries. I know it won't stop and you make a great point regarding Pearl Harbor.

    I only tear when I see Pearl Harbor with Ben Affleck on TV.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I believe that a vast majority of people have in fact forgotten. They use the video and detailed images to "remember". The show the fotage and everyone relives it. So when most people say they remember, they are only remembering what they just watched. Not what happened that horrible day.

    ReplyDelete