Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Return to Whedonverse

I love Netflix streaming. I’m aware that love of Netflix isn’t popular currently but there, I said it. The reason I love Netflix is because it opened up the Whedonverse to me. I have spent countless hours in the magical Whedonverse. I popped my Whedon cherry on Buffy and haven’t looked back since.

From Buffy I moved on to Angel, mainly because I was fairly certain Spike was resurrected on that show in its final season. Angel didn’t move me in the same way that Buffy did, when characters died in Buffy it actually stung for me, I felt a loss knowing they were gone. That isn’t to say that Doyle sacrificing himself didn’t leave me going “Whaaaa” or that the loss of Fred still doesn’t make me sad.

From Angel came Firefly and with it Serenity. I really enjoyed that show even though I knew going in that it was prematurely cancelled by television execs that would rather continue to air tripe like Two and a Half Men. I’m a better person for having become a Browncoat and for knowing Wash, even if he was cut down too soon. After Serenity I took a break from the Whedonverse, nursing my wounds from the many heartbreaking deaths that Joss Whedon feels necessary to bestow upon his creations.

During my sabbatical I immersed myself in Battlestar Galactica, and not the Dirk Benedict one (he’ll always be Faceman to me). I loved that FRAK out of that show! BSG was full jaw dropping deaths that you didn’t see coming (Dee what were you thinking!?) and from beginning to end I found myself totally enthralled with the crew of the Battlestar Galactica. Like all good things this too ended and I was left wondering where to go from here. So, I returned to the Whedonverse.

I am now two episodes into Dollhouse and already really enjoying myself. I knew that Eliza “Faith” Dushku was the star but I had no idea Tahmoh “Helo” Penikett was also in it. My two worlds have collided! I know I’m setting myself up for disaster. I know that the show was cut down too soon and I just know that someone is going to be killed that will leave me going “What?! No!” but I also know it’ll be worth the ride.



No comments:

Post a Comment